Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Dyeing Eggs

Dyeing eggs is one of my most favorite holiday activities.
Of all time.



Long before my sister or I had kids, but also long after we were done being kids ourselves, we still dyed eggs together.
It's just so much fun.
Watching those white eggs turn all sorts of bright and beautiful colors is magical.
I do love color.




I've done it every year with my kids since James' first Easter.
There would be rebellion if we missed.
This year was the most fun time yet.
They are all big enough now that I can just set them loose and let them create.
Which is just what they did.




I let each kid have their own dozen to dye.
I know, it seems like a lot, but the fun they had was worth every penny of that $1.49 per dozen.
We did the dyeing outside so there was no stress about dye getting on table, chairs or floor.
It makes for a much more fun experience.




Don't you love the way the dye fizzes when you add the vinegar?
We left some with just vinegar and dye, no added water, to get really bright eggs.
And we used some brown eggs to get those jewel tones we love.
This yellow and green one are brown eggs.




I snapped picture after picture while they dyed eggs.
I just couldn't get enough of all the fabulous colors.






And I love to watch them interact with the process.
I love the way they experiment with the colors, letting them sit a long time, or mixing them around.
It's such a great art project.










It's messy.
We always have some remnants of dye under our nails on Easter morning.
It doesn't matter.








Every single egg is different.
Even if they go in the exact same cup of dye.
They love seeing how each carton of eggs is unique.




And what does a little, almost 10 month old baby do while his big siblings dye eggs?
He crawls around on the ground and gets into mischief.




He tried to eat a lot of succulents.




The kids spent the entire morning dyeing eggs.
We all agreed it was more fun this year than last.
And we know next year will be even better.




I love this tradition.
I hope they'll indulge me when they're in college and I ask them if they want to dye eggs.
Say yes, OK kids?
Because no Easter would be complete without the egg dipped in every color.
We must have the muddy egg.
It just wouldn't be Easter without it.



Only 1 more Easter post left, folks.
Or, maybe 2.
I aim to get them done before the week ends.
You know, so we can get ready for the 4th of July.
Happy Easter!
Love from,
Greta

2 comments:

Katie @ minivan diva said...

I always look forward to your Easter pics. Your shots are gorgeous! I especially love the bright eggs. : )

MARCHELLE www.CandyWrap.Jamberry.com said...

Perspective...I guess it all boils down to perspective. My egg dyeing went a little differently!

I was NOT going to dye eggs this year. I didn't have the energy or desire. But then...I started to feel sorry for my 10 and 8 year old kids. It's not their fault I had two older children that wore me out! So...I started complaining all day how I would feel like a terrible mom if I didn't dye eggs this year. My hubby got tired of listening to me because on the way home from one of his errands, he texted me, "Got dye and eggs." I got a big grin.

After the dying process was OVER, he smiled at me and said, "Do you feel better now? Is your conscience clear? None of your children will end up in prison?"

It really is a partnership and I thank God for my partner! - Marchelle Klein