Friday, May 27, 2011

I'm Putting in My Bid for Worst Mother of the Year

The kids and I had a fabulous morning.  
We were in the backyard for hours, raking the never-ending supply of avocado leaves, transplanting succulents, putting things away, washing down the sawdust piles and doing a general clean up.
The sun was warm, but not too warm.  
The shade under the avocado tree felt wonderful when we spread out sleeping bags to lounge and eat on.
We had watermelon and popcorn.
The boys climbed the tree.
Lilly swung.
I took pictures and enjoyed our last days as a 4-some.

And then we came inside so I could take a nap.
William laid down with me.
I told James and Lilly they could watch a video.
At some point Lilly came in and asked for crackers.
Not even half awake, I said, "yes."
A while later, I woke to find......THIS.



Empty cracker box on the floor, crumbs galore, that blank TV stare and her hand in the box of FRUIT LOOPS.
James looked at me and shook his head,
He knew Lilly was being baaaad.
But I just started laughing.
Like bent over laughing so hard that I almost peed my pants.  (not really that far from every minute of my day right now, but still)
How far I have fallen.
And I don't even care.
Because I am just too tired.  


I'm still laughing.  
At me.
And at Lilly.  Who found those Fruit Loops that I hid after the boys went camping.  
At James who wouldn't eat them without asking, because he's that kid.
And just..... all of it.
It made that last post, the one about being perfect, so very  true.
Things are going down hill fast.
Good thing I only have 3 and half weeks left.
Who knows what could happen?


And now, I have to take a shower so my husband doesn't come home to find me with greasy hair and wearing the same pair of sweats he left me in this morning.
I have small goals people.
But they are worthy.


Wishing you a wonderful 3 day weekend.
And, I hope you will take a moment to remember the men and women who serve and have served our country so bravely.


Love from,
Greta

6 comments:

Katie @ minivan diva said...

Don't worry. We are ALL watching Yogi Bear while eating Cinnamon Toast Crunch which I bought when Jack was driving me crazy at Walmart. They get sugar cereal once a year in their stockings on Christmas morning. You have no idea how stoked they are right now.

Pam... said...

You are only giving yourself the grace that you would give someone else. Sounds fair to me.

Phyllis said...

If that is the worst scene you can show as evidence that you are a "bad mommy" then I think you are doing quite fine! :)

Nicki said...

I stummbled upon you r blog this morning while voting for someone at the mammy faith blogs and I love it. I would like to subscribe through my blogspot dashboard though...can i do that on you site? My site is www.free2waddle.blogspot.com and my email is drake.familylive.com

grey rose (they/them) said...

once in awhile these funny things happen, no big deal! i'm still voting you mom of the year:)

Betsi* said...

Sorry, I think I already hold the title! Hehe, and I'm busy defending it. ;)