Sunday, March 28, 2010

April

April
by John Updike

It's Spring! Farewell
To chills and colds!
The blushing, girlish
World unfolds

Each flower, leaf,
And blade of turf--
Small love-notes sent
From air to earth.

The sky's a herd
Of prancing sheep,
The birds and fields
Abandon sleep,

And jonquils, tulips,
Daffodils
Bloom bright upon
The Wide-eyed hills.

All things renew.
All things begin.
At church, they bring
The lilies in.


This poem touches my heart. I have always loved spring but I love it more than ever this year. From the tiniest wild flower, to the bright, bold daffodils sitting on my dining room table, I am encouraged by the sights of spring.

I am encouraged by the reminder that after cold and darkness there is light and warmth.
Spring always comes. We have to open our heart to it, but it always comes.

We live in a beautiful world and we are loved by a beautiful God.
I pray that truth is real to you this Easter and this spring.

Much love,
Greta

This poem is from this book and I can't say enough good things about it. I'll tell you more about it next week.

1 comment:

Lillian said...

What a lovely poem. I was unaware that John Updike had published a book of poetry. Thank you for introducing me to this poem.