Friday, September 11, 2009

We Will Remember

"Do not be overcome by evil,
but overcome evil with good."
Romans 12:21

I haven't discussed September 11th with my kids. Maybe I should. I want to teach them the truth of the above verse.
But how do I explain what happened that day? There is a part of me that isn't ready to bring that much darkness into their world. The memories of it all are still so painful for me. I still get angry. I still get so very, very sad.
Maybe we'll talk about it. Maybe we will pray for the families who lost their loved ones, and for the soldiers who are protecting us right now. I just don't know. It won't be real to them like it is to me. It will be a story. But I do want them to know. To remember. To care.


How do you talk about these things with your children? When do you decide they are ready to know more about the evil deeds of men? As my children grow I find myself wanting more and more to shield them from the bad, but I also need to give them the tools to deal with it. I think more than anything, I need to fill our lives with light.

It reminds me of one of their favorite songs:
Jump, jump jump into the light, light, light!
Run, run, run away from what's not right!
Jump, jump, jump out of the dark, dark, dark!
Run to Jesus, give Him your heart.

May we walk in the light.

No comments: