Monday, April 26, 2010

Poppy Dreams --Part 2

I have to warn you, this is the mother load of pictures. When you go somewhere this beautiful, you can't help taking lots and lots of pictures.

When my alarm went off at 4:45, I immediately thought, "this is a lot of effort for some flowers," but I knew it would be worth it once we got there.
It was indeed.
As you drive down Avenue I through the flat, seemingly barren desert, you suddenly see this: orange hills.
And it just gets better and better. And you keep saying wow! James said, "I just didn't know they'd be so bright!"
As soon as we pulled over, the boys were out of the car and running.
They love to explore.
With each step the views were more amazing.
My sweet William stopped to pick me a bouquet.
Then he took off again.
Lilly liked them, too. She just wanted to sit down and pick handfuls.
"There are millions of poppies, but only one Lilly."
With thanks to Scott N for that one.
We just kept walking and I just kept taking pictures.
Finally though, it was getting warm, apparently there were "pokey things" in the flowers that were bothering James, and the kids were pretty fed up with picture taking.
Until I let them take some pictures that is.
This one is by Isaac.

By William
By James
By James
We said goodbye to our friends and fellow adventures. (thanks guys for giving us the get up and go to get out there!)
Then we got back in the car and went for an "exploring drive". It's one of the boys favorite things to do.

I could have stayed there for a long time.
It was worth the early morning wake up, the 2 hour drive, the gas, and all the other minor inconveniences of road trips with small children.
We'll be back.

Notes:
If you go,
Leave early, you'll miss traffic both ways. And you'll miss crowds in the fields.
Wear layers. It was cold to start with, but got warm fast.
Look ahead at the weather forecast. It can get VERY windy in the high desert. You'll enjoy a non--windy day more.
If your kid is sensitive to his legs being scratched by plants, or walking in long grass makes his skin itch, put him in pants.
You don't have to go to the actual poppy reserve area. We just pulled over on the side of the road at a picturesque spot. We drove by the reserve and the parking lot was full. No need to walk the trails with hundreds of others. Find your own spot.

People fly to Holland to see the tulips. If you live anywhere remotely near, you should make the trek to see the poppies. Even if is just once. For us, it might just become a spring time tradition.

________________________________________________________
On a different note, I'll be taking the rest of the week off to work on some improvements on this blog space as well as to start up a new project with Aaron. Although I have no knowledge or experience in this area, we are starting a web site, a new blog and an Etsy shop.
I hope to have something to show you next week. There will be a giveaway of some of Aaron's linoleum block prints so be sure to check back. I'll keep you posted.
And wish me luck on figuring this all out!
Love from,
Greta

1 comment:

Brooke said...

I am doing a little catch up.... 1st Happy Birthday to James. It looked like a rip-roaring good day!! And second, THOSE POPPIES! I don't even know what to say! WOW. I may have to FLY in just to see them :D It looks breath-taking. Loved all the pics, especially the ones of YOU in them! It is always a treat to get Mom in a couple! Good luck with your website launch. Can't wait to see the end product.