Saturday, June 20, 2009

Five

The day after Jack turned 6, James turned 5.  It was an unusual birthday.  We were still staying in Fallbrook and Daddy wasn't going to get to be with James on his special day.  Thankfully, he was able to get the day off and come down to surprise James.  We wanted to do something special all together on his birthday.  James picked Sea World.  So after presents and breakfast, we were off.

Oh, but before we left, we had to have cake.  Every year, I let the kids pick the kind of cake they want for their birthday. This year James picked chocolate with white frosting.  And he wanted a whole cake this time, not cupcakes.  Since we wouldn't be home until close to bed time, we did the cake before we left.  It was his dream come true.  Cake in the morning,  Right after breakfast even, not at snack time.  Bliss.  

These pictures are priceless.  They so clearly depict James and his love for food.  First of all, he is enjoying his favorite breakfast, eggs and toast, and when he was nearly done, he yelled out, "I'm ready for cake!"  But since there was still a bit of eggs and toast left on his plate, and he doesn't want to miss a morsel, you see him stuffing his mouth as the candles are being lit.  Oh James, I can relate.  We really love a good meal.
  
"It takes a lot of air to blow out 5 candles."  So says the wise 5 year old.
I can't believe it has been 5 years since that moment in the delivery room when my mom yelled, "it's a boy."  It was the greatest moment of my life.  I couldn't believe that the world outside my hospital room carried on as usual when the greatest miracle of all had just happened.  I had a son.

I still marvel at him daily.  I make sure I stop and look at him, hold him close, say, "I love you son."  I smooth back the hair from his forehead, I admire his little boy physique, his firm little body and smooth skin.  It wasn't very long ago he was learning to walk, and now he can swim the breaststroke, ride a bike and run really fast.  It has been 5 years.  3 more of those and he'll be 20.  Is it any wonder I feel weepy? 


James Westley Eskridge.  5 years old.

Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday dear,  Jamers
Happy Birthday to you!
We love you so much.



1 comment:

Lillian said...

I love the look of rapture on his face as he looks at his cake and you can almost see him drool.