Friday, November 4, 2011

Remembering This Moment: Handmade Halloween

Remembering This Momentcapturing a moment in our day that I want to hold onto.  It doesn't have to be anything special, just one of the myriad of small, beautiful moments that make up our life.  I know someday the memories of these moments will fade.  This is my way of hanging onto them.  
Read more here.
.......................................................................................
I have not been able to blog much as of late.
As much as I'd like to, I cannot and/or don't write during the day.
I have to say, "when Mommy's done doing this" about 50 trillion times while writing one post, so it isn't really worth it.
Besides, that's when I try to focus on the kids and all the other things that need doing around home.
The nights, though, are mine.
Were mine.
For the past month they've been hijacked.
Sick kids up coughing, coughing, coughing all night long.
Breathing treatments, hot tea, steam showers, and mostly extra cuddling and holding.
I can't even tell you how many nights Aaron and I have played musical beds.
Every night a new bed, or beds, a new person in bed next to you, or maybe a couple of new people.
We never know how the night will play out.
And this week I've got a baby who thinks sleeping during the day is the way to go, but  nighttime sleeping requires a nipple in his mouth.
My nipple.
What the heck?
What happened to my nights?
It's the only time I have a break; to write, recoup, regroup, to sleep.
As a result of this new development, I've been tired and cranky and sometimes, even a little hostile.
It's been a rough couple of weeks, I won't lie.

But I want to get this Halloween post out because I want to remember it.
I don't really want to remember the moments leading up to trick or treating when I said something to the effect of, "will you all stop complaining, because you are making this NO FUN!"
Or the day after, when they were all tired and still sick and pestering me for candy constantly and I said something to the effect of, "if you as me for candy one more time I am going to take it all and THROW IT IN THE TRASH!"
Don't I sound like the most awesome mom in the world right now?
Probably the kids will remember those things and make fun of me for them when they grow up. 
The way we do for our mom.
Sorry Mom.  
We love you and think you are awesome. 
There are just some great stories of the times we drove you to the edge.
My day is coming, I know.

Here is what I do want to remember.
My 4 little Indian braves.
Or, 3 braves and a princess.



They made their own costumes this year.
I always make them, but this year, they wanted to and I thought, "it's time for ownership."
Who cares what they look like?
They'll have fun and they'll be proud.
They did and they were.
It was awesome.


I bought a big brown sheet at the thrift store for $2.
They helped me cut out "ponchos".
See those nice straight edges?




Then we cut out shapes from felt and brightly colored fabric scraps.
Lilly, of course, chose pink for her costume.




Each kid made their own design and then glued the shapes onto their poncho.
William spent a lot of time on this part.




He was so stoked with his finished product.
James was, too.
When we were done, he gave me a hug and said, "you make us the best costumes, Mommy."
I live for those moments.
It only takes a little bit of effort to make a big impact in their hearts.
So worth it.




Even Davy got to be a little brave with his feathers and a strip of leftover fabric tied around his head.
He was busting out of the only brown outfit I had for him to wear.
My little brave is getting so big!




When the boys finally decided to be Indians for Halloween, Lilly joined the tribe.
But she wanted to be an Indian princess.
So we found her pink feathers and a pink bandanna.
But when they boys said they were fierce braves, Lilly wanted to be a brave too.
So she was.




She also wanted to be a mommy.
So she was.
We tied a papoose to her back and she proudly carried that baby all night long.
She was the cutest Indian princess/brave/mommy I've ever seen.




We joined our neighbors for trick or treating in our neighborhood.
The kids had a blast running from house to house together.




They saw the big kids using pillow cases last year.
Guess who used pillow cases this year?
Not the cute, metal buckets they've been using in years past.
I'm learning to let go.
It really doesn't matter, does it?




And this little guy sat in his Daddy's arms and took in his first Halloween.
Just like always, he was Davy the Wonder Baby--not a peep out of him the whole time.
He's the best. (except for the middle of the night when he wants that nipple.  curses!)



As much as the kids loved trick or treating, I think their favorite part was actually passing out candy to the other trick or treaters.
They filled a bowl with the candy they didn't like and stood on the front porch, handing out candy to the kids still running around.
William actually shouted, "Candy!  Candy!  Candy!" at the top of his lungs for quite a while.

They loved Halloween.
And I loved watching them have fun.
Just like I did when I was a kid.
It's very sweet to share these memories with them.

Now, I'm off to bed for a few minutes of precious sleep.
At least until a cougher or nurser needs me.
Hoping I'll be back to normal next week.
Really, really, really hoping.
Love from,
Greta

6 comments:

lauren said...

ummm... its possible i said a couple of those exact phrases. and yes--- they will remember those. but i tell myself that's why i am blogging. to at least have equal memory space with the good stuff. an actual representation of the full picture.. the good, the bad, and the ridiculously sleep deprived. it all adds up to this life of GRACE that He is so faithful to keep loving even when my new joy in the morning sometimes sounds more like a desperate plea for survival. keep your chin up this too shall pass. :)

hennymats said...

Now that sounds familiar. ALL of it.

I haven't had much of a night to myself recently, although the little one is 2 already. But he won't fall asleep without me.Sigh. Sometimes I wish I had just given them a pacifier when they were babies ;) .

Someday they'll all sleep without us. And we will miss it then. Not that that helps now. Oh well.

Love,
Swenja

Adrian said...

I am in love with the Indian costumes. In Love. Especially your sweet little Indian princess mommy. The baby on her back is almost too much for me to handle, she's so cute! I hope you get your nights back soon. :)

meg + andy said...

Such a hilarious, precious post. Way to keep positive and i'm glad i'm not the only who can get a little "hostile" at times! you ARE an awesome mom!

meg

Betsi* said...

Maybe we should get together and take turns sleeping. Your nights are very similar to mine right now.
I lurve the Indian braves, princess and papoose!! So cute!

simply brookes: said...

love this. we make our own every year. this year was no different. i think there is even more pride in that...and of course more creativity and ownership. you are doing it right, greta.